Cool Thing Of The Week: Windows 7

So yea, I migrated from XP to Windows 7 (64 bit) today. It took about 2 hours, and so far I have to say that I'm pretty impressed. It's damn snappy, boots up faster than XP ever did, and is full of little touches that become second nature very quickly. I've also got to say that I have had some compatibility issues with some older hardware (an ancient pci ethernet card that stopped being supported in 2006) but a suprisingly pleasant time otherwise. So far I've yet to run into any hiccups or really any issues at all. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with the hardware upgrade - I got 4 GB of ram super cheap over labor day weekend, bringing me to a total of 6 GB. I also installed it on a 10,000 RPM HDD, so you could attribute some of the speed increases to hardware. You could, that is, until I told you that I'm dual booting XP and 7, and that they're both playing nice. For anyone that's ever used a Microsoft OS, that will be a bit of a shock. MS never really liked supporting dual booting all that much, but the 7 installer make it extremely simple. So basically, 7 shows Microsoft doing a lot of things right - a focus on performance, finally accepting that some people might want more than one OS on their system, and far fewer resources consumed than Vista. It's the 98SE/ME/XP saga all over again.

0 comments :: Cool Thing Of The Week: Windows 7