Simple DVD Burning in Linux with DeVeDe

I usually use DVD Flick to convert, author, and burn dvd's in windows and until recently, in Linux too with wine. Unfortunately, the latest version wasn't working for one reason or another, and I decided to look for an alternative, perhaps something Linux native (I've only brought my laptop home for christmas break and it runs Linux. XP drivers aren't available for it so my only choices were Linux or Vista). Anyway, I've always found authoring and burning a DVD natively under Linux to be a little complicated, if not just plain anoying. Not that I don't roll up my sleeves and break out the CLI when things need to get done, but come on. I'm on vacation here, and if there's a simple way where I can just click through a few menus and go watch TV then I'd rather do that.
Enter DeVeDe: a fairly-simple-yet-still-powerful authoring tool that only requires around five dependencies. You pick your titles and files, select your options in a faux-wizard format, and boom. An .iso ready for burning and watching. There's even options for creating DVD menus for chapters and episodes, and a good amount of the advanced options for bit rate and such can be found. A really nicely done program overall. It's apparent that a lot of thought was put into making the program easy to use without leaving power users in the dark. There's also a Windows version that might even pry me away from DVD flick. Happy burning. (All images from the DeVeDe website)

0 comments :: Simple DVD Burning in Linux with DeVeDe